Saturday, October 14, 2017

My YDEV Story

  
Growing up I always knew I had a talent working with youth. I always knew how to connect with youth of all ages and I found myself genuinely caring about the people around me. All my life people had told me, “You’d make a great teacher one day” but I was never sure that was for me.
                My freshmen year I majored in Elementary Education/Special Education. I enjoyed the classes and especially the practicums. I would always find myself bonding with the students in my practicums even if it wasn’t through the educational aspect. And they gained a respect from me that I never thought I’d get as a “Teacher Assistant”. When it came down to the math praxis and that dreadful biology class, I couldn’t get into the program. I didn’t give up though, I switched to Early Childhood education. I knew right then and there this major was for me! I loved the entire aspect of early childhood. I learned to importance of those developmental years and loved it. And there was this one class called “Early Childhood and Social Work” that got me elated to be pursuing this major. Unfortunately, due to changes in the program I couldn’t get in without graduating in 2019. That is when I made the switch to Youth Development. A mix of social work, youth advocacy and youth in a non-school setting. Literally a major made for me. I can explore so many youth centered places through this degree. And eventually I’ll go into Early Childhood on a master level but for right now I’m where I want to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Previous Post

Injustices

Every Sunday I am at the bar with my friend (I am over 21) and we watch football. Its a tradition and we love the season. When we talked ...